Alumni eNewsletter: 2009 GUAA/LCCF award recipients announced (Archives)
The Gallaudet University Alumni Association (GUAA) and Laurent Clerc Cultural Fund (LCCF) Committee are pleased to announce their 2009 award winners:
- GUAA Outstanding Young Alumnus Award--Darian J. Burwell, '97 & G-'04 (Md.) This award goes to a young alumnus or alumna of Gallaudet University of the past 15 years who has performed some impressive service to the University and/or the deaf community, or who has brought recognition to our alma mater through some notable achievement in his/her personal or professional life.
- GUAA Pauline "Polly" Peikoff "Service to Others" Award--Ronald M. Hirano, AAS-'57 (Calif.) This award goes to an individual, hearing or deaf, from within the deaf community who has contributed of himself or herself, especially as a volunteer, to the community.
- LCCF Alice Cogswell Award--Dr. Betty G. Miller, '57 (Pa.) This award recognizes an individual for valuable service on behalf of deaf people.
- LCCF Edward Miner Gallaudet Award--Dr. Paddy Ladd (United Kingdom) This award is given in recognition of national or international leaders for promoting the well-being of deaf people.
- GUAA Laurent Clerc Award--Scott DeLoach (Tex.) This award is given for outstanding social contributions by a deaf person.
The winners will be honored at the 40th Annual Charter Day Awards Program at a Saturday, April 4 brunch at the Peikoff Alumni House ("Ole Jim"). More details will be forthcoming.
Posted: 22 Dec 2008